Farman HF-20 and HF-22
In May 1913 Captain Walaardt Sacre, Lieutenant Van Heyst and ir Roozendaal visited in France several aircraft factories in search of equipment for the Aviation Department (Luchtvaart Afdeeling) of the Dutch Army (known as LVA) , which had to be established.
After evaluating products from Farman, Caudron and Bleriot, the Farman HF-20 was selected.
Three aircraft of this type were bought and delivered in September 1913 with the registration LA2 through LA4.
The Farmans were all used for training purposes.
The LA2 crashed on September 27, 1915, killing both pilots Lt Hofstee and Lt. Polis. On June 26 the LA3 crashed at Soesterberg, the lt Schlimmer was badly wounded, the mechanic Corporal Van de Wal, was only slightly injured.
The remaining LA4 was re-serialled HF26 early 1918 and went out of service mid-1919.
Early 1914, six aircraft of a larger, improved version, the Farman HF-22 were ordered. Due to the outbreak of war, just four examples were delivered.
Three of them received the LVA serials LA6 to LA8. The fourth went to the Navy with the registration M1. Oddly enough, two sets had an 60 hp engine, the other two had a 80 hp engine. The engine of 60 horsepower was soon replaced by a 80 hp engine.
The Naval Farman M.1 was already on 25 May 1915 transferred to the LVA, where the registration was LA9.
Aircraft Factory NV Nederlandsche Trompenburg, owned by Henri Wijnmalen, was requested to built new aircraft as Wijnmalen had obtained the licensing rights for Farman.
On June 22, 1915 was the first Trompenburg-Farman HF22, serialled LA10 was delivered. The last Trompenburg-Farman, serialled LA27 was delivered on April 26, 1916. Trompenburg built eleven aircraft for the LVA, ie LA10, LA11, LA15 t/m LA21 and LA26 and LA27, and three pieces for the Navy.
Early 1918, the remaining Farmans were reserialled with new registrations HF10 to HF20. Crashed aircraft were used by the technical department of the LVA, to build two new aircraft, LA30 and LA32, later serialled HF15.
At the end of 1918, all remaining Farman were decommissioned and sold.
Over time, the Gnome engines replaced by Swedish Thulin A 80-100 hp engines.
The first aircraft of the Dutch Navy, a Farman HF-22, entered service on July 28, 1914 with serial MA1.
It was used intensively at Soesterberg as a trainer, so after one year a complete overhaul was necessary. It was handed over to the LVA, which gave it the new serial LA9.
At the end of July 1915 a second Farman, with serial M1 was received, soon followed by five other aircraft. These were built under license at the Trompenburg aircraft factory at Amsterdam. The Farmans received new serials in 1917, A1 till A6.
In October 1918 the Farmans were transferred to the new Naval Air Station "De Kooy" and kept in service as trainers till mid 1919.